heeb'n'vegan

"I've noticed that quite a lot of people who are prominent in the animal liberation movement are Jews. Maybe we are simply not prepared to see the powerful hurting the weak." --Peter Singer (Author, Animal Liberation)

12.01.2006

Shalom, Mousey. I Wish You Shalom. And While We're at It, Shalom!

This evening, I noticed that the Humane "Smart" Mousetrap in my kitchen had caught a mouse. I took the trap to a nearby park and liberated the mouse there. He quickly ran out of the trap and darted away upon realizing the door was open. On my way over, I said a spur-of-the-moment brucha asking G-d to take care of this lost little fellow and let him live out the rest of his life safely and peacefully.

I told the story to my grandma, who recalled that her father used to flush mice down the toilet. Call me crazy, but I think it's better to be humane.

I couldn't help but think that although this mouse was probably frightened and hungry, he was much better off than the many animals who are caught in hideous glue traps and other cruel rodent-control products. He was much better off than the week-old mice who are placed in nearly oxygen-free chambers for 45 minutes, causing them severe brain damage; these mice are then killed and have their brains dissected so that experimenters can make claims about the supposed health benefits of POM Wonderful/Horrible. Last but not least, he was much better off not getting flushed down the toilet by Aron Hallender, a septlingual teacher who emigrated to the U.S. from Mistichiva, Hungary, in 1905.

1 Comments:

  • At 12/02/2006 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home